- Do & Learn
- FAMstore Events
- Public Programs
- School-Age Programs
- Walk-In Tours & Adult Group Visits
- Event Rental
- Join & Give
Volunteer with FAM
Want to help support our mission? First Americans Museum is seeking volunteers who are able to commit to ongoing service to the museum. We hope to accommodate groups that wish to volunteer together or students seeking volunteer hours in the future.
FAM offers two types of volunteer opportunities: general volunteers and docents.
General volunteers work on an as-needed basis and assist with greeting visitors, staffing coat check and providing support for events. Weekday, weekend and evening shifts are available.
Docents are highly trained educational volunteers that provide school and adult tours for scheduled groups, and daily walk-in tours at 1 p.m. Docents receive four months of training and are required to serve at least 12 tour hours per quarter to remain active in the program. Most tours take place during weekday mornings and afternoons.
Applications for the docent program will be open Oct. 1, – Nov. 12, 2023. Training for the 2024 class of docents will take place each Tuesday from 1–4 p.m. on January 9 through April 30, 2024 (no class Tuesday, March 18 for spring break). Trainees must attend at least 80% of sessions to graduate.
Ongoing volunteers will enjoy benefits over the course of their service to FAM. These perks include discounts in the FAMstore and restaurant and complimentary membership. Intangible benefits also include:
- Being a vital part of our mission to promote awareness and educate the broader public about the unique cultures, diversity, history, contributions, and resilience of the First American Nations in Oklahoma today
- Inspiring and deepening the public’s appreciation and respect for Native arts, history and culture
- Learning new skills and acquiring knowledge from scholars, staff and guest speakers
- Making new friends with fellow volunteers and FAM staff
Questions? Email email@example.com.